About This Course
Success Training Academy offers the Certificate II in Security Operations in partnership with APS Training Group (RTO #31588) in Woolloongabba Brisbane, Southport on the Gold Coast, Clontarf in North Brisbane and Cairns.
The CPP20212 Certificate II in Security is the minimum requirement to apply for your Unarmed Queensland security licence. This course also includes First Aid & CPR, and the crowd control units for Free! This will allow participants to apply for their Unarmed Queensland Security licence with Crowd Control.
Throughout this course you will gain the knowledge and practical skills required to work as a security officer in places such as nightclubs, shopping centres, hospitals, hotels, events, building sites, patrol. These skills will be gained through a combination of practical training, in class role plays, theory and defence restraints and techniques.
In order for participants to apply for a Queensland Security licence they must meet the below criteria:
- Must be 18 years of age at the time of applying for their security licence
- Must have basic English language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills. (You will be required to complete an LLN Assessment prior to commencing enrolment in this course).
- You will also need to complete a criminal history check as part of the licence application process
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold the appropriate Visa to work within the Security Industry in QLD.
- Note, for international students – we are not CRICOS registered, and therefore cannot accept international students who are on a student visa.
- For more information on the licence application process, please contact our office or see the Office of Fair Trading’s website
There are no prerequisites for the Certificate II in Security Operations course, however it is recommended that you have a grade 10 level of English understanding, reading and writing. This course is also for a Queensland Security license. For participants in other states, please refer to your relevant state and territory licensing and regulatory authorities.
Blended + Face to Face Workshop
This course will consist of both face to face and distance components. The distance component consists of theory work and is required to be completed from home prior to the face to face component. You will then attend 5 days in class for the practical component.
During the face to face days you will complete practical training, including role-plays, group activities, case scenarios and defence techniques. You will learn to perform the responsibilities of a security guard in a lawful, ethical and highly effective manner.
Participants have up to 6 months to complete all course work. Participants will be supported by pre recorded webinars, tutorial sessions and email/phone contact with your trainer. The theory component of the course must be completed prior to attending the practical face to face component.
Our Certificate II in Security is only offered in Queensland, for a Queensland Security Licence.
Units Of Competency
CPPSEC2001A Communicate effectively in the security industry
CPPSEC2002A Follow workplace safety procedures in the security industry
CPPSEC2003B Work effectively in the security industry
CPPSEC2004B Respond to security risk situation
CPPSEC2005A Work as part of a security team
CPPSEC2006B Provide security services to clients
CPPSEC2011B Control exits to and exits from premises
CPPSEC2012A Monitor and control individual and crowd behaviour
CPPSEC2014A Operate basic security equipment
CPPSEC2015A Patrol premises
HLTAID003 Provide first aid
CPPSEC3002A Manage conflict through negotiation
CPPSEC3003A Determine response to security risk situation
CPPSEC3007A Maintain security of environment
CPPSEC3013A Control persons using empty hand techniques
Standard fee: $700 (payment plans are available)
Upfront fee: $550(credit card or internet banking)
Includes First Aid/CPR training.
Why Study With STA?
With over 30 years combined experience in training and recruitment - not only do the management team at Success Training Academy ensure that we deliver the highest quality training for our students, it is our aim to provide a one-stop service by:
- At the end of your course, one of our Careers Officers will take your class through the security licence application process, and assist you with registering with Ready Set Hired – our online platform that connects jobseekers with employers who are looking for casual/last minute staff in the hospitality and security industries
- At the completion of your training with STA, along with your Certificates, you will also receive a Feedback Report that details the areas you excelled in, as well as areas that you could improve in (if applicable) – this Report could be used to assist you with your job applications.
- Not only that, through many years in various industries, but specialising in security and hospitality, we have established a database of contacts who regularly come to us with career opportunities – we email these opportunities to our past students, and are able to refer our high performing students to potential employers. We also have a Facebook group for all of our security graduates, with jobs, interview tips and more: www.facebook.com/groups/STA.Jobs
Need convincing? Check out some of our testimonials below.
Thanks very much for sending this (security job application) through. Daniel started work two weeks ago and is going great, excellent feedback from all clients and a great attitude to work.
Thanks again, please keep guards of this standard coming through, it makes my job so much easier.
Rohen Hancock, General Manager - Chief Group Services
If you are eligible for the Queensland government’s Certificate 3 Guarantee funding program, you may want to consider completing the Certificate III in Security Operations (for new guards). The only other reason to complete the Certificate III rather than the Certificate II, is that some employers may view the higher level qualification more favourably. Otherwise, yes, this is the course you should complete.
Security in shopping centres, nightclubs/pubs/bars, events, hospitals, patrol and more.
You can apply for your licence at any time, as long as you add your course certificates within 6 months of your original submission. Security Licence applications are done through the Office of Fair Trading. You can download the application form from https://www.qld.gov.au/law/fair-trading. We will also assist you on your last day of the course with your Security Licence application form.
At the time of publishing, the fees associated with applying for your Security licence are:
- the licence fee for 1 year is $313.50 and for 3 years $620.80
- a criminal history check fee of $39.20
- a fingerprinting fee of $100.
If you applied for a 1 year licence you will need to renew after twelve months. If you applied for a 3 year licence you will need to renew every 3 years. The Office of Fair Trading will post you a reminder notice approximately 6 weeks prior to its expiry, also advising you of any units you need to re-do. If you have applied for a Crowd Control licence, you will usually need to complete 2 of the Crowd Control units (CPPSEC3002A and CPPSEC3013A), as well as your First Aid (if its due) to renew your licence. You can do this by completing a Security Renewal/Refresher course.
To be eligible for a QLD Security licence, you must:
- be 18 years or older
- not pose a risk to public safety
- pass the required training course.
- Have no convictions of a disqualifying offence within the last 10 years
The Office of Fair Trading will send you a renewal notice about 6 weeks prior to it’s expiry. You can renew your licence online, at a cost of $196.70 for a 1 year multi-function licence, or $590 for a 3 year licence. Once you have submitted your renewal application, you are deemed licensed until you receive your new licence, or your application is refused or withdrawn (as long as it is submitted prior to expiry). If you do not submit your renewal prior to its expiry, you will need to submit an application for a new licence, which is $526.40 for a 1 year multi-function licence, or $919.70 for a 3 year. Don’t forget to keep the Office of Fair Trading updated with your current postal address!